Sunday, August 31, 2014

Quilt Like An Eagle Quilt-Along

I haven't done any piecing this week--too busy quilting Gift Basket--but...
Quilt Like An Eagle



I've been wanting to do a version of this quilt for years, so I'm happy to have the motivation of a sew-along! 
I was first drawn to this quilt when Quilter's Newsletter published this pattern in 2002.
It uses the center motif of an early 19th century quilt. 

In 2005, Quilter's Newsletter published an article about this quilt.
It was inspired by the previously published pattern, but this quilter did some research and based her version more closely on the original. 

This is a photo of the original quilt.
 The quilt is made from hemp, as so has become known as the Marijuana quilt!

Barbara Brackman wrote about this quilt several years ago HERE. As Barbara points out, Jan Patek has a version of the same eagle in her book Flags of the American Revolution--you can see it on the cover:

Flags of the American Revolution
I just got this book in the mail--it was a Bobbins Bargain a couple weeks ago.
The eagle pattern from the magazine needs to be enlarged, but the eagle in the book looks to be about the size I will want to use, saving me a trip to the printers.
There is also some information on the quilt from the National Museum of American History HERE.
I'm not sure how my version will end up, but I will be doing the center similar to the Ever Vigilant version. 

2 comments:

  1. I will be looking forward to seeing your Eagle "fly"...Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. The eagle projects I'm seeing here and there are so tempting. Not on my list for this year, but I'm enjoying watching others plan theirs. Some eagles I like -- some I really do not like at all. They're definitely not all hatched from the same egg, so to speak. We each react to quilt parts in different ways, don't we? How interesting these quilts are that you've shared. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete