Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Another One Bites the Dust!

Less than a week ago, this was still a stack of blocks, so I'm very happy to have it all together, quilted, bound and even washed and ready to cross of my 2016 Finish-A-Long list! This was the first time I used Mountain Mist Cream Rose batting, so I was eager to see how it would crinkle up after washing and drying. It's very soft and drapes nicely--I'll use it again, for sure! 

Quilting is just wavy lines with a hook (wave) thrown in occasionally using Aurifil #2310--lots of fun to quilt since it went so fast. 

I love the little anchor fabric from Primitive Gatherings on the back!

There is the barest trace of bleeding from a few of the dark fabrics despite using several color catchers in the wash cycle. I'm going to try rewashing with even more color catchers and hope for the best, but really it probably is only noticeable if you are looking for it. 

The quilting shows up a bit better from the back.

Today has been a catch up day.
I've been working on the 365 Challenge blocks this afternoon and also these ThimbleCreek "beach-ball"blocks. I realized that I could use the Magic Eight method to make the half square triangles since there are two sets of 8 of the same color combos in each block. That made the cutting so much easier and fast--just cutting 5" squares from four fabrics for each block. I always make a test block when I deviate from the pattern instructions just in case my figures are off--sometimes my brilliant ideas aren't so brilliant!


Linking with 2016 Finish-A-Long HERE
2016 FAL

14 comments:

  1. Very nice finish. Is there a special recipient in mind?
    I Love the beach ball blocks. Nice twist on the snowball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this quilt! Your wavy quilting is perfect for it too. Now I'll need to check out that batting. I want to start trying different ones to see what each has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fabrics in your beach ball block. You are so clever to minimize your cutting. Your sailboat quilt looks so cuddly and soft - a lovely finish :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice finish - beautiful sailing boats! always good to have a batting recommendation! Is it a cotton batting?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on another fabulous finish Karen! I knew you would do it! Love the beach ball blocks too! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful classic two color quilt. It's just so fresh and crisp. Thsnks for recommendation on the batting. I'll have to look for it. Also thanks for the quick pieces technique for the Thimble Creek BOM. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Blue & White quilt turned out wonderful.
    The backing fabric is so fun and appropriate.
    Congratulations on a Beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your ships quilt is beautiful! And they certainly sailed fast!
    I love the colors you're using in the Thimblecreek quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful sailboat quilt--my DH ALWAYS wanted a boat--it's almost time for replacing his 17 yr old retirement lap quilt--hmmmm looks like an idea...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done, love the sail boat quilt very effective quilting pattern and love the backing fabric too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great finish. I do love the blue and white together. The backing and quilting are a perfect choice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The sail boat quilt would be a good one for a boy/man. The navy blue/white combo is one I like very much.

    ReplyDelete